Job Title: Accounts Assistant
Location: Antrim Civic Centre
Salary: Scale 6, £30,296 – £33,024
Duration: Temporary 6-8 months
Hours: Mon-Fri 9AM-5PM
The main duties will include the processing of payments to creditors, reconciliation of debtors and creditors control accounts and processing of income returns.
- In the absence of the Accounts Supervisor ensure that all appropriate procedures are carried out to ensure the continued effective operation of the accounts section.
- Process invoices and carry out the accurate input to the computerised accounting system.
- Match and process invoices/purchase orders for all council departments for payment in accordance with agreed procurement/payment procedures.
- Performing checks on invoices, maintenance of payment registers to control appropriate non-order supplier payments, the accurate input of the transactions and preparing payments to suppliers by BAC’s, cheques, direct debit and credit card. Processing payments to creditors in accordance with agreed accounts procedures, including compliance with Sub Contractors’ Legislation and contracts and the updating of appropriate Registers. Ensure contractor and professional fee payments are made in accordance with relevant regulations and agreements or supporting documentation.
- Handle requests from suppliers regarding outstanding payments and liaise with appropriate officers in other departments to resolve issues delaying payments.
- Review and check statements received from suppliers and investigate any irregularities.
- Contacting budget offices to raise orders on the computerised payment system, review outstanding purchase orders, liaise with budget officers regarding queries on orders and investigate any irregularities e.g. duplicate orders.
- Input and maintenance of suppliers standing data e.g. bank account details.
- Responsible for processing debtor invoices through the computerised accounting system.
- Maintenance of Debtors Registers in respect of Council facilities/services invoiced by the accounts section.
- Implement credit control procedures in relation to council debt; including negotiation and maintenance of debtors’ payment plans, direct debit schemes, and receipt of telephone payments.
- Performance of monthly reconciliations of all the Council’s Debtors’ and Creditors
- Control Accounts.
- Prepare lodgements from section returns for secure cash collection and prepare input to the finance system.
- Input of all receipts to the computerised accounting system, maintenance of monthly income return schedules, and reconciliation to the Council’s bank account and investigate any irregularities.
- Ensure completeness of the input of manual payments i.e. direct debits, credit cards,
- Internet payments and treasury movements
- Adhere to the internal controls relevant to the accounts function e.g. processing controls on creditors payments, validation of data input, monthly nominal ledger controls on accounting movements.
- Preparation, validation and updating of journal entries as required.
- Utilisation of other Council software applications e.g. till systems and bespoke databases.
- Maintain an efficient filing system.
- To be available to work flexibly in other services during emergencies
- To be available from time to time to carry out duties outside of normal office hours and in addition to basic contracted hours. Such additional hours will be remunerated in line with Council’s approved policies at the time.
- 5 GCSEs (to include English and Maths) at Grades A – C or equivalent Consideration may be given to candidates who do not hold the above qualifications but who can demonstrate 5 years’ experience as detailed below.
- A minimum of 3 years relevant work experience in accruals accounting, in a computerised accounting environment
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Excel
To apply for this role please email your CV in strictest confidence to Shane at Apple Recruitment and you will then be contacted to discuss the opportunity.
All applicants will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Please ensure your CV is accurate and up to date. The CV should include your full employment history inclusive of dates, all academic achievements and full personal contact details.
Please note only applicants that match this criteria can be considered for the role.
Apple Recruitment Services is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy. Apple Recruitment Services is an Equal Opportunities Employer.